Hi, I'm Dillon O'Connor and welcome to my blog which will track the production of LS29's debut production, Red Run.

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Evaluation Question 6



What Have You Learnt About The Technologies During The Process Of Constructing This Product?

During the production of Red Run, I as an individual have learnt a lot about technologies and techniques, ranging from using computer software to film, edit and create soundtracks to filming things in a certain way to control how they’re portrayed to the audience. First of all, I have learnt a lot about digital technology such as cameras and how to use camcorders to their full potential. I have done this through both practise and research on the internet and by watching other media products created with the came equipment. I have also learnt little but useful things such as how to use a tri-pod and how to import and manage data from computer to computer and how to intertwine it with different computer programs. That leads me to another technology that I have progressed in; editing software such as iMovie and Final Cut. Before the process of constructing Red Run I had little knowledge, recognition and understanding of these programs but through practise and teaching I have improved dramatically and can now use these programmes to a high standard in order to create a media product such as Red Run which I believe contains various examples of editing techniques used such as fast pace editing. Using this software I was also able to create a title sequence for the film opening which was relevant to the Slasher genre and theme throughout Red Run.
The Camera That I Used.

Using another program called Garage Band, I have also learnt to create a soundtrack for Red Run and I’m very pleased with it after it received positive feedback from an audience that viewed a rough cut of the film opening. During the process of constructing Red Run I have also become familiar with video sharing websites such as Youtube and Vimeo and how to use them. Before the construction of Red Run, I hadn’t used these website a lot at all and I didn’t understand them very well. Now however, I am confident in using them to share to upload and share my videos, accompanying them with details, tags, links and embedding codes in order to post the videos on my blog so that the videos are being viewed by more people, resulting in gaining more feedback as to how to improve the product. Youtube and Vimeo aren’t the only websites that I have familiarised myself with, I have also been using Twitter and Facebook during the process of producing Red Run and I have used these websites to promote the film opening Red Run and I have been able to gain feedback from this also. Another website used to promote Red Run is blogspot.com, used for many reasons such as posting progress, reading other people’s blogs to compare, gaining information from a teacher or another student, to conduct polls in order to gain feedback and information which can be used to help to produce the media product in a way that the audience enjoy and finally to keep a record of research and planning, new ideas, feedback, progress, evaluation and any other relevant aspect that occurred during the process of constructing the media product, Red Run.
Final Cut Logo.

Another technology that I have come to terms with is using Apple Mac computers as before embracing Media Studies, I had barely used theses computers and I really didn’t know what I was doing as I could hardly minimise a program without losing it which was a big shock to me as I am very familiar and productive on a Windows computer as I have one myself and have been using them for many years. Now though, I am confident using a Mac computer and feel as if I have progressed dramatically as I can now browse the internet with many different windows and tabs open, edit my footage using various software and also construct soundtracks used for my film opening.


An Apple Mac Similar To The One I Used.

Overall, during the course of AS Media Studies and the process of constructing the media product Red Run, I have gained a much better understanding of many different varieties of and aspects of technology, broadening my knowledge of what’s available to be used, how to use it and also how to learn and progress using different technologies, either by practising, gaining feedback and working on that, or simply being taught, although another way in which I’ve learnt to use technologies to a high standard is that I can now independently learn as I’ve been teaching myself how to use various software and equipment. I am very pleased with my progress and with what I’ve learnt and although I still have a lot to learn, I certainly improved on using technologies relating to Media Studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note all comments are moderated